Pioneer Day

Pioneer Day is an official Utah state holiday celebrating entry on Brigham Young and the first group of Mormon Pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847. This is a big for the LDS Church, some even walk portions of the Mormon Trail to reenact entering the valley. Since it is a holiday Brad gets the day off, but I don't since my company doesn't recongize it, but our gym is closed, stores and resturants are closed (or they close earlier then normal). Its just very strange here today.
This morning they had a huge parade called the 47 Parade. And it is tradition to camp out on the parade route to get a good seat. Brad and I went out last night and we drove the parade route (it was on our way home) and couldn't believe the number of people sitting on the side of the road at 11pm waiting for the parade that started at 8am. People had tents set up to sleep in, some just had sleeping bags, and so went as far as blowing up an air mattras to sleep on. I wouldn't of believed it, if I didn't see it with my own eyes. Today they have various events like the 5k, and 10k races, free concerts, boothes with crafts and various food stands. I guess you could compare it to the Lilac Festival in Rochester. The 47 rodeo was here all week, Brad and I had a lot going on this week that we didn't get a chance to go. Tonight they have fireworks all over the city. I think Brad and I are going to participate in that event since we didn't see fireworks for the 4th of July.