Kennecott Copper Mine

Brad and I finally went to visit the Kennecott Copper Mine. The mine can be seen along the mountain range and Brad and I have been very interested in going to see it.


A few ramdom facts about the mine are:
It is the largest copper mine in the world. The mine had produced more copper than any mine in history-about 18.1 million tons. The mine is 2 3/4 miles across at the top and 3/4 of a mile deep. You can stack two Sears Towers on top of each other and still not reach the top of the mine. If you were to streach out all the roads in the open pit mine, you'd have 500 miles of roadway-enough to rach from Salt Lake City to Denver. The mine is so big, is can be seen by the space shuttle astronauts as the pass over the United States.





Every year Kennecott produces about 300,000 tons of copper, 500,000 ounces of gold, and 4 million ounces of silver. Here is the site about the mine if you want to know more facts: http://www.kennecott.com
Brad and I really enjoyed our visit. We couldn't get over how big the trucks were that hauled the rocks out of the huge pit. Here are some pictures of just how big the trucks are compared to a regular truck and how big the tires are compared to Brad and I.





Here are pictures of Brad and I at the mine.